Monday, January 02, 2006

Need to Make a Call

We saw the therapist last Wednesday.

Among other things, we were discharged from our outpatient program. I am not really all that particularly happy about this. I've checked on this from the insurance end and it's not them, it's the hospital. Don't get me wrong, the fact that they HAVE a lymphedema clinic at all is encouraging, but the hospital makes them run it like any other outpatient PT program. Basically this means they expect the therapists to train people in self-care and discharge them and they are allowed one annual follow-up thereafter. So, we've been discharged but there has not been a significant enough reduction in the volume of J's feet to allow us to get her into shoes that are actually the CORRECT size for her feet, which was my goal. Those of you out there, adults especially, I think, who have this disease understand that this is not really an ideal way to treat it, it's a long-term care condition, etc. But, hey, we'll take what we can get.

ASIDE from being cut loose and left adrift in the world of lymphedema and garments, the therapist took a look at our stockings and agreed with me, they're too big :-( They sag to her ankles, especially with activity that promotes calf muscle use (like bike riding) and they wrinkle up on the front of her ankle unless she keeps her toes pointed all the time. With New Year's and me being sick I didn't make the call last week.

I'll be on the phone with Bio-Concepts tomorrow to find out what our options are, if they want us to re-measure, etc. Yay fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home